Tool Support For Testing – Chapter 6 – ISTQB Foundation
The last part of the series of short key elements for the ISTQB certification foundation level exam. Here is the final of a series of a summary with the aim to help you to memorize the information that is very likely to be on the ISTQB exams.
Read, then practice the exam for chapter 6 – Tool Support For Testing, link at the end of this summary, practice the quiz as much as you like or until you feel comfortable enough to go to the next chapter.
If you feel that you are ok to try the actual exam, there’s a quiz for that as well next to chapter six.
The more you read, the more you understand, the more you understand more you are ready to sit at the exam.
I have uploaded a mind map with a graphical visualization of the ISTQB Foundation Level topics, a kind of Cheat Cheat, you may find it useful too to help you with the exam.
Hope you like it. Feel free to drop me a comment, or inform anything that I’ve missed here. Good luck.
A software product that supports one or more test activities.
Benefits of test tools
- The amount of time and effort spent performing routine repetitive tasks is reduced.
- Predictable and consistent results.
- Data captured by test tools can provide better metrics and accurate test management info.
Risks of test tools
- Over-optimism of the test tools abilities.
- Not enough initial time and effort was put into the tool’s setup.
- Program or environment changes a lot of the life such that inconsistencies and issues require constant attention.
List of tools for management of testing and test
- Test management tools.
- Incident management tools.
- Requirements management tools.
- Configuration management tools.
List of tools for static testing
- Review tools.
- Static analysis tools.
- Modelling tools.
List of tools for test specification
- Test design tools.
- Test data preparation tools.
List of tools for test execution and logging
- Test comparators.
- Test execution tools.
- Record and playback tools.
- Test harnesses.
- Coverage measurement tools.
- Security tools.
List of tools for performance and monitoring
- Dynamic analysis tools.
- Performance/stress testing tools.
- Monitoring tools.
- Data quality assessment tools.
- Usability test tools.
Steps for introducing a tool into an organization
- Analyze the problem/opportunity.
- Look at alternative solutions.
- Check the constraints and requirements of the tools.
- Perform an evaluation and create a shortlist.
- Detailed evaluation along with a proof of concept.
- Pilot project.