A bit more of information which I believe it will help with your ISTQB certification foundation level exam. In the third part of the series of a summary to support you in memorize the topics that is almost certainly to fall in the exam questions.
Read, then practice the exam for the chapter 3 – Static Testing, link at the end of this summary, practice the quiz as much as you like or until you feel comfortable enough to go to the next chapter.
If you feel that you are ok to try the actual exam, there’s a quiz for that as well next to the chapter three.
More you read, more you understand, more you understand more you are ready to sit at the exam.
I have uploaded a mind map with a graphical visualization of the ISTQB Foundation Level topics, a kind of Cheat Cheat, you may find it useful too to help you with the exam.
Hope you like. Feel free to drop me a comment, or inform anything that I’ve missed here. Good luck.
Two main static testing techniques
- Static analysis
Systematic examination of a document by one of more people with the main aim of finding and removing errors
Types of defects found in reviews
- Deviations from standards
- Requirements defects
- Design defects
- Insufficient maintainability
- Incorrect interface specifications
Basic review process
- Document under review is studied
- Reviewers identify issues and inform the author
- Author decides on action to take and updates as needed
Formal review process
- Planning (select personnel, allocate roles, defining entry and exit criteria, selecting parts of document to review)
- Review entry criteria
- Individual preparation
- Noting incidents
- Review meeting
- Fixing defects
- Checking exit criteria
- Manager – decides on what to review
- Moderator – leads the review
- Author – person who wrote the document
- Reviewers – performs the review of documents
- Scribe – documents the review
Four types of reviews
- Technical review
Main purpose is to find defects and uses no real formal process
Enable learning of the content of the document and find defects
Enable decision making, finding defects, solving technical problems, and checking conformance of document
Main purpose is to find defects and process improvement
Success factors for reviews
- Each review should have predefined and agreed objective
- Any defects should be welcomes
- Conducted in an atmosphere of trust
- Techniques are suitable to work-product type
- Emphasis on learning
- Management support
Used to find defects in software source code and software models
Benefits of static analysis
- Early detection of issues prior to test execution
- Early warning about suspicious code or design
- Identification of defects not easily found by dynamic testing
- Improved maintainability
- Prevention of defects
User Review( votes)
Rogerio da Silva is a Brazilian who lives in the UK for a little over two decades. He is the owner of a test consulting and outsources services for software development. He likes to blog, write and create content that teaches others how to live a better life. Rogerio has two princesses and one powerful wife that help him with his work.
He loves reading biographies of successful authors and dream builders because they inspire him to keep creating!