Ref.: 214505251 | 2021-08-24 16:20:30
Lead Software Engineer
Town: | County: Hampshire | Country: United Kingdom
Description: Software Engineer Lead
Southampton / Home Based (Initially full home based until September)
Historical travel data can only help that much when predicting travel demand. Our team at Cirium faces the challenge of using contextual data to decipher what past travel patterns left unexplained. By disrupting historical travel patterns Covid-19 made contextual data even more critical in predicting intention to travel. Restrictions, sentiment, and special circumstances influence today’s travel decisions more than ever.
By joining us you will have the opportunity to share ownership in solving this problem end to end. From exploring new data sources for building features, to design and put in production predictive models and make sure they perform consistently over time. We have available terabytes of flights, events and news data and we constantly add new data sources. What we are looking for is someone with sound technical knowledge in ML, statistics and software engineering, the creativity to leverage this knowledge in solving unusual problems and the will to operate while outside his/her comfort zone.
This position performs complex research, design, and software development assignments within a software functional area or product line, and provides direct input to project plans, schedules, and methodology in the development of cross-functional software products. This position performs software design — typically across multiple systems; mentors more-junior members of the team; and talks to users/customers and translates their requests into solutions.
• Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies (e.g., Agile, Waterfall).
• Strong experience with various resource models such as Managed Services and/or Staff Augmentation.
• Strong knowledge in industry best practices in external resource development.
• Ability to partner and lead internal and external technology resources in solving complex business needs.
• Strong proficiency with data manipulation language including optimization techniques.
• Strong understanding of normalized/dimensional data modeling principles.
• Ability to write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of complex system components.
• Strong skills in setting, communicating, implementing, and achieving business objectives and goals through the direct management of others.
• Strong organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills across multiple functional groups and departments, and strong delegation skills involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of various size and complexity.
• Strong problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues; prior success extracting/translating findings into alternatives/solutions; and identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
• Strong communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior and executive management, customers, etc., including diction/terminology and presenting information in a concise and effective manner to clients, management, and various departments using assorted communication mediums.
• Serve as the initial point of escalation for software development issues within specific area of responsibility.
• Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of system components of moderate complexity.
• Complete complex bug fixes.
• Work closely with other development team members to understand moderately complex product requirements and translate them into software designs.
• Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews.
• Operate in various development environments (Agile, Waterfall, etc.) while collaborating with key stakeholders.
• Mentor and/or train entry-level software engineers as directed by department management, ensuring they are knowledgeable in critical aspects of their roles.
• Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
At LexisNexis Risk Solutions Group (RSG) we provide information and online data services to business professionals worldwide. Customers have access to our high-value industry data, analytics, information and tools. Our strong global brands hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RSG people are driven by an environment focussed on innovation, passion for our products, and collaboration, where working in an agile manner is par for the course. LexisNexis Risk Solutions Group is part of RELX, a leading global provider of data, information and solutions for professional customers.
LexisNexis Risk Solutions Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Salary Type: Annum
Salary: £45000 – £58000/annum + Benefits
Permanent | Full Time
Rogerio da Silva is a Brazilian who lives in the UK for a little over two decades. He is the owner of a test consulting and outsources services for software development. He likes to blog, write and create content that teaches others how to live a better life. Rogerio has two princesses and one powerful wife that help him with his work.
He loves reading biographies of successful authors and dream builders because they inspire him to keep creating!